My family’s recipes are a sacred tradition, especially our slow cooker stuffing. Rather than take away “unhealthy” ingredients, I wanted to make my version colorful by adding red cranberries and green apples. I also replaced the white bread with 100% whole wheat bread. The end result? My family loved it and I hope yours will too! ~ Melissa, MyPlate Nutritionist
1. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and parsley to pan. Stir often until veggies are tender.
2. Combine bread cubes, cranberries, and apple in a large bowl. Pour veggies over bread cubes and mix gently.
3. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour in broth (just enough to moisten) and gently mix in eggs.
4. Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cover.
5. Set slow cooker to High for 45 minutes; then reduce heat to Low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.